General Information

Does UBC Interprofessional Continuing Education comply with the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) effective July 1st, 2014?

Yes, we do comply with the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) that prohibits the sending of most commercial electronic messages without the consent of the recipient.

Messages that are purely informational, or relate exclusively to the “core activities” of UBC, do not fall under the scope of the CASL because they are not “commercial” in nature. Examples of “core activities” that are exempt from the CASL are promotion and student recruitment for University-run programs that are primarily educational in nature (including continuing education programs). These messages are not Commercial Electronic Messages because they lack “commercial character”.

Also, messages sent for the primary purpose of raising funds for UBC are not subject to most of the requirements in the CASL.

How can I register for a conference?

Online registration is the fastest and most secure method. Online registration links can be found within the webpage of the conference you are wanting to attend (see the horizontal menu “Upcoming Initiatives” for your conference).  Please refer to the “registration” link on the horizontal menu for alternative registration information.

What are the different payment methods available to international delegates?

  • Credit Cards – some banks will require international payments to be verified beforehand, so please check with your bank first that there is no “block” on international transactions.
  • Bank Wire Transfers or Direct Deposit – please inform us first before making this transaction so we can inform our bank. For detailed information on how to send a Bank Wire Transfer, please email cris.ipce@ubc.ca.
  • Money Order
  • Cheque – Please have the cheque verified by your bank and make it out to The University of British Columbia and Mail to: Interprofessional Continuing Education, The University of British Columbia, Rm. 105 – 2194 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z3

Why can I not register for the conference even though you have information about it on your website?

The registration normally opens 3-5 months prior to the conference start date. We open the registration once the conference program is finalized and the conference brochure has been released.

I can no longer attend a conference that I registered and paid for – can someone else go in my place?

If you are unable to attend the conference, you are welcome to send a colleague in your place. There is no fee to make this change up to (“THE EARLY BIRD DATE”) provided you notify us via phone or email. Substitution requests must come from the original registrant (or the administrator that arranged for this registration) and include the original registrant’s name, the amount paid, plus the substitute attendee’s email, full name, city and affiliation. Substitution requests received after this date will incur a $75.00 processing fee.

When and where can I pick up the conference materials? Will they be mailed to me before the conference?

Conference materials will all be distributed on-site at the conference after you sign-in on the morning of the conference.

In the case that an emergency happens and I am no longer able to attend the conference, can I receive a refund?

There will be a $50 cancellation fee until the end of the Early Bird deadline. After that there will be a $100 charge for up to two weeks prior to the conference (all fees incl. taxes). Two weeks or less there will be no refund. However, if there is a conference syllabus, you may request to have it sent to you without an extra charge. Some of our initiatives have a different cancellation policy, please make sure to read the cancellation policy prior to completing your registration.

Can l reserve a spot and register at a later date?

No, we cannot hold spots. The only way to guarantee your spot for a conference is to complete the registration process with payment.

I will require a Letter of Invitation to obtain a visa for traveling. Would you be able to send me a copy?

We regret to inform that we do not issue letters of invitation to international delegates. Letters of invitation will be issued to invited conference speakers only. Upon registration and payment you will receive a confirmation email. If you are an international delegate and wish to receive a refund upon withdrawal from the conference, please note that the refund process will take up to 3 months. Therefore, we encourage you to finalize travel arrangements prior to registering.

May I still submit an abstract if I do not live in Canada?

Yes, abstracts from around the world are accepted. Some conferences have a national focus, while some are international. However, in addition to an interdisciplinary approach, we believe that there is a universal goal to address these important issues and all information shared, regardless of location, will be of great value.

Do you have any travel fund or bursaries available?

Depending on the funding received for each conference, bursaries are sometimes available. All bursary information will be posted on our website under specific conference (refer to the conference listing under the menu heading “Initiatives“).

I would like to present at the conference. How would I go about to be considered?

Keynote speakers, based on their work, involvement, and knowledge in the field, are invited by the planning committee of each conference, comprised of experts in the respective areas. For certain conferences, a call for abstracts is issued, which is open to all individuals interested in submitting an abstract to present at the conference. Please click here for additional information regarding the call for abstracts.

Why do speakers need to fill out a disclosure form?

We apply for continuing education credits through various different organizations for our conferences and a disclosure of conflict of interest for all speakers is a requirement for the application process.

Do you use external companies to make hotel and travel arrangements?

No. Please note that we do not contract with external companies to make hotel bookings or other arrangements on your behalf. If you are contacted, know that the service offered is fraudulent. Please contact us right away if you are contacted by these companies.

Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Information

I am a parent of a child with FASD. I want to learn more about this FASD. Please direct me to some resources.

I think my child has FASD. What can I do to get the proper diagnosis for our son/daughter?

If you are from BC, please visit: http://www.mcf.gov.bc.ca/fasd/assessment.htm.

I think my adult child has FASD. What can I do to get a proper diagnosis for our son/daughter?

The Medical Services Plan of B.C. does not cover Adult FASD Diagnosis. Private assessments can be arranged for a fee through the Asante Centre. Please visit their website for further information.